A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. According to Dr. James Yankowskas of Lowell, MA dental implants are an ideal option for people in good general oral health who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or some other reason. Dental implants are natural-looking and feeling and under proper conditions, such as placement by a diligent patient maintenance, implants can last a lifetime.
What do Dental Implants Do?
- Replace one or more teeth
- Support a bridge and reduce the need for a partial denture.
- Provide support for a denture, making it more secure and comfortable.
Types of Implants
- Endosteal (in the bone): Most commonly used type of implant. Screws, cylinders or blades are surgically placed into the jawbone.
- Subperiosteal (on the bone): These are placed on top of the jaw with the metal framework’s
Dental Implant Placement vs Dentures or a Bridge
Esthetically dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. Since dental implants integrate into the structure of your bone, they prevent the bone loss and gum recession that often happen with bridgework and dentures.
Neighboring teeth are not changed to support the implant as with a bridge. More of your own teeth are left untouched, a significant long-term benefit to your oral health.
Dental implants are secure. You don’t have to worry when speaking or eating. No messy pastes and glue. You will go about your daily routine with confidence and comfort.
The success rate of dental implants is highly predictable. They are considered an excellent option for tooth replacement.
Are Dental Implants Right for You?
Ideally you need to be in good oral health and have adequate bone in your jaw to support the implant. In addition you will need healthy gum tissue, free of periodontal disease.
For more information on dental implant placement contact Dr. Yankowskas at 978-649-7773 or visit his website www.tyngsborocosmeticdentist.com.
Dr. James Yankowskas of Tyngsboro, MA can transform anyone’s smile into the beautiful bright smile that they have always dreamed about, especially with the use of Porcelain Veneers. Porcelain veneers offer superior benefits over other cosmetic dental procedures, such as dental crowns or braces. The fingernail-thin shells, which are adhered to the front surface, solve a myriad of aesthetic problems with just one treatment. Here is a list of the top 10.
- Natural looking – Porcelain is a translucent material that mimics the look, luster, and feel of enamel.
- Whiten – When adhered to the front surface of your teeth, veneers you’re your teeth look instantly whiter.
- Straighten – Veneers offer a great alternative for patients with crooked teeth who do not want to endure the process of having their teeth straightened with dental braces.
- Fix – Veneers can fill in and improve the look of teeth that are chipped or broken.
- Fill in gaps – Veneers can be customized to repair smiles with unsightly gaps.
- Youthful – A whiter, brighter, more lustrous smile can immediately you’re your face a more youthful appearance.
- Conservative – Unlike other cosmetic procedures that require removing a large portion of healthy, natural teeth, veneers can be applied with little alteration.
- Protection – Once applied, the veneers also serve to provide a protective shield to the front surface of teeth.
- Stain resistant — Porcelain is stain resistant, which will make your smile stay brighter and whiter longer.
- Gum friendly – Gum tissue is not irritated by porcelain.
Don’t wait any longer to get that beautiful smile you have always wanted. Contact Dr. Yankowskas at (978) 649-7773 or visit his website www.tyngsborocosmeticdentist.com.
Dr. James Yankowskas DDS of Tynsboro, MA offers Invisalign, the invisible way to straighten teeth using a series of custom-made, nearly undetectable aligners. Whether your teeth are crowded, too far apart or have shifted, Invisalign may be right for you.
Upon an initial examination, Dr. Yankowskas will decide if Invisalign is right for you. He will then write a treatment plan and take an impression of your teeth. Thanks to the latest advances in 3-D computer technology, Invisalign carefully translates the dentist’s instructions into a series of precisely customized aligners. The aligners will move your teeth gradually week by week until you achieve the smile you have always desired.
To achieve a beautiful straight smile, without using unsightly metal braces, contact Dr. Yankowskas at (978) 649-7773 or visit his website www.tynsborocosmeticdentist.com.
According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, certain foods naturally cleanse, brighten, and defend against bacteria that can harm your teeth and gums.
The following 10 foods were recommended by the academy for a healthy, brighter smile.
- Pineapples can help whiten teeth. Pineapples contain an enzyme called bromelain, which acts as a natural stain remover. Bromelain also helps break up plaque.
- Ginger can protect against periodontal disease, an inflammatory process that causes the loss of bone and supportive connective tissue in your mouth.
- Carrots contain vitamin A, which is needed for healthy tooth enamel. Eating them raw stimulates saliva, your mouth’s natural cleanser.
- Basil is a natural antibiotic that reduces bacteria in the mouth.
- Cheese is rich in protein, calcium, and phosphorus, all of which help reduce acid in your mouth.
- Sesame seeds help “scrub” away the plaque on your teeth. Chewing nuts can also provide this coarse, scrubbing action. Sesame seeds also contain bone and teeth-strengthening calcium.
- Shiitake mushrooms contain a compound called lentinan, which inhibits bacteria from growing in your mouth.
- Onions contain the sulfur compounds, thiosulfinates and thiosulfonates, which reduce bacteria that cause tooth decay. Eating them raw is a must as cooking will destroy these tooth-friendly compounds.
- Salmon not only provides calcium but also vitamin D, another nutrient needed for healthy bones and teeth.
- Broccoli contains iron, which helps form an acid-resistant film or barrier that can protect the enamel of your teeth.
For more information on cosmetic dentistry or other ways to brighten your smile, contact Tyngsboro Cosmetic Dentistry, Dr. James Yankowskas DDS at (978) 649-7773 or visit his website www.tyngsborocosmeticdentist.com.