When we practice proper dental hygiene, we are drastically lessening our odds of developing dental issues in the future. After all, taking a proactive approach to your dental health will only produce a healthy smile. But regardless of our dental care, our teeth can begin to look dingy and stained. Lots of factors can contribute to this happening, which is why stains generally have nothing to do with our daily care. Many times, it is our lifestyle choices that will cause stains to develop because the outer layers of your teeth get stained over the years by consumption of beverages with caffeine, soda, wine and smoking.
There is no reason to feel embarrassed by stained teeth – we can have them whitened by a variety of products. But when outside sources of staining are left to sit on the teeth while they wait to be brushed again, the dentin on your teeth becomes yellowish or darkened. That said, here is a list of contributing factors to yellowing, stained teeth:
- Tetracycline based antibiotics used before the age of 8 years old
- Excessive exposure to fluoride as a child
- Internal bleeding due to trauma
- Discoloration due to a health condition
- Natural aging- as time goes by enamel gets thinner and thinner and will get a yellowish hue
And now that you know how they became stained, here are some simple tips to slowing the process down:
- Visit your dentist regularly for teeth cleanings
- Rinse your mouth out with water several times throughout the day
- Use toothpaste with whitening agents
Call Tyngsboro dentist Dr. James Yankowskas for a consultation at 978-649-7773. Also, visit our website at tyngsborocosmeticdentist.com.
Dr. Yankowskas proudly accepts patients from Tyngsboro and all surrounding areas.