Periodontal disease is an infection of the tissues that surround and support your teeth. Periodontal disease is typically painless and you may not know you have it. Periodontal disease is caused by plaque, the sticky film of bacteria that is constantly forming on our teeth.
Here are some warning signs that can signal a problem:
• gums that bleed easily
• red, swollen, tender gums
• gums that have pulled away from the teeth
• persistent bad breath or bad taste
• permanent teeth that are loose or separating
• any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
• any change in the fit of partial dentures
Many factors that can increase the risk of developing periodontal disease including smoking, pregnancy, and diabetes. It is important to visit Dr. Yankowskas if you think you have periodontal disease because the sooner you seek treatment the better.
For more information on proper periodontal care or to make an appointment, Dr. Yankowskas at (978) 649-7773 or visit our website.
Dr. Yankowskas also proudly serves Lowell, Nashua, Dracut, Chelmsfold, Dunstable, and surrounding areas.