We all want a great smile but aren’t all lucky enough to have one. It isn’t something that is impossible – there are plenty of ways your dentist can help you get the smile you’ve always wanted. But it is maintenance that causes the hiccups. Proper brushing, flossing, and regular professional cleanings are three key components to maintaining natural tooth health. However, there are many threats to good oral health:
- Smoking damages oral tissue causing gum recession, increases risk of oral cancer, stains teeth, and causes other long-term health risks.
- Gum disease can spread to teeth, gums, and supporting bone, and can cause one or more teeth to be lost.
- Obesity has been linked to an increase in oral bacteria, which contributes to increased rates of periodontal disease among obese patients.
- Patients who regularly bite their nails are more likely to chip, crack, or cause atypical wear on their front teeth, and are statistically more likely to suffer from bruxism (tooth grinding or clenching).
- Research shows that patients who get less than six hours of sleep per night are shown to be more likely to have periodontal disease.
- Patients with a diet high in sugar, especially sugary drinks, are significantly more likely to suffer from tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- Anemia can contribute to periodontal disease and the body becomes unable to push sufficient nutrients to the gums to combat infection.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle in addition to maintaining proper oral hygiene routines will help fight off bacterial colonies that contribute to periodontal disease as well as keep gum tissue healthy to prevent gum recession.
Call Tyngsboro dentist Dr. James Yankowskas for a consultation at 978-649-7773. Also, visit our website at tyngsborocosmeticdentist.com.
Dr. Yankowskas proudly accepts patients from Tyngsboro and all surrounding areas.