Dental anxiety is common among kids and adults alike. Whether someone has had a bad experience at the dentist or not, it’s good to understand dental anxiety and to learn if IV Sedation may be right for you.
When dentists perform restorative procedures, there are typically a variety of sedation options available to the individual. The two main ones being nitrous oxide or intravenous (IV) sedation. The inhalation of nitrous allows a patient to relax, but IV sedation can guide the patient into a deeper relaxation and in some cases, lull them to sleep.
The following are benefits to utilizing IV sedation for sleep dentistry.
- Administration of the drug is tailored to the patient’s needs
- The results of IV sedation are reliable and the most effective means of sedation
- If you are particularly sensitive to your gag reflex, IV sedation will relax the reaction, but your dentist may recommend nitrous oxide
- In contrast to general anesthesia, IV sedation is safer and allows you to retain consciousness.
- Due to the amount of control your practitioner has with the dosage of IV administered, your recovery time is shorter than with oral sedation.
If you do enter into a restorative process, and feel you may have dental anxiety, discuss your concerns with your dentist to see if IV sedation may be right for you.
To learn more about sedation or to schedule an appointment today, visit us online at www.tyngsborocosmeticdentist.com.
Dr. Yankowskas proudly serves patients from Tyngsboro and all surrounding areas.